Wednesday, January 12, 2022

On March 31, 2019, Liverpool hosted Tottenham at Anfield, defeating the Pochettino led side by two goals to one. As the reds celebrated in England, the family of Kolade Johnson mourned in Nigeria. The circumstances leading to Kolade’s death is akin to something from a poorly directed movie.

A young media practitioner, Folorunso Ismail, living on Baba Ponmile Street, Mangoro/Onipetesi community, of Lagos State, was being kidnapped by un-identified men into a bus without number plates. Worried by the sights, people living in the community moved in to investigate. That was when an eye-witness saw a marked Police force vest on one of the assailants. “We discovered that it could be SARS,” he said. They were later revealed to be operatives of the Special Anti-Cultism Unit (SACS). When the eye-witnesses moved closer to the bus, one of the officers opened gunfire. 

Pain X. Illustration by sef adeola

Kolade Johnson had just stepped out of the viewing centre with Nana Samuel, an inhabitant of the community. They were both standing a few feet away from the commotion, observing without engaging. As the bus conveying the officers set out to leave, one of the operatives brought out his gun and faced Nana and Kolade. Nana said,

“I was like God what is going to happen next? The next thing I heard was two gunshots.”

After firing, the officer jumped into the bus, commando-style, and the bus zoomed off. But the bullets had hit a target on Baba Ponmile Street. 

“Not up to a minute, Kolade now said;

‘ah, I don die’ ”

Nana narrates. Kolade’s body had become a home for the bullets. The eye-witnesses tried to get him to a hospital, but no cab driver was willing to take them, for fear of Police brutality. By the time someone was able to help them, Kolade had lost a lot of blood. He died that afternoon. Folorunso Ismail would mention later that the reason for his kidnap was because of his dreadlocks. He said he saw the officer fire, heard the sound, but did not know it hit anybody. Folorunso himself was being beaten in the bus by another officer. Folorunso had committed no crime, neither did Kolade. But both men were brutalized by men of the Nigerian Police Force suspected to be SARS operatives. The government promised justice, but justice is yet to come. Meanwhile, the guns of injustice have not stopped shooting and kidnapping across Nigeria. 

I spoke to Makinde* on his experience with members of the dreaded SARS unit. Makinde said,

“we were the lucky ones.”

When asked why; Makinde said two of his childhood friends who came back from the UK were summarily executed at Ojuelegba by SARS operatives. The officers accused the teenagers of armed robbery.

“Their bodies were found a month later,”

he added.

But that was not the end of tragedy for the families. One of the fathers died when he saw his son’s body and the other had a stroke, while his wife died a month later. The father who had a stroke died a year later, as their second son committed suicide.  Makinde’s personal experiences are limited to harassment. 

Anthony* said he spent three nights in police detention for settling a fight between two people. At the cell, Anthony recalled how some of his cell-mates were randomly picked up at different spots, robbed of their personal belongings and dumped in the cell. On the categories of people he shared the cell with, Anthony said:

“fathers who came to Lagos to see their children, fathers who were picked up in front of their homes with towels on their body, people coming back from parties, people picked up in buses on their way back from work.” 

According to Anthony, some of them had spent three to five years in detention for offences they knew nothing about. They were neither bailed nor charged. They were just abandoned in the cells to rot. Anthony’s saving grace happened when a Commissioner of Police visited the station, and one of the arrested persons wouldn’t stop wailing loudly. The CP decided to ask what was wrong, allowing some of the inmates to narrate their experiences. The CP gave them a chance to reach out to their families.

“Those of us who didn’t have telephone numbers to call wrote addresses for him.”

Anthony could have spent the rest of his life in detention for settling a fight. 

Several Nigerians continue to languish in various cells across Police stations in the country. The unlawful arrests and detention in Nigeria are easy because the Police are often armed with assault rifles. In cases like that of Kolade, when citizens try to intervene, the Police shoots at will and without consequences. 

The Nigerian Police is organized in such a chaotic manner that they do not know how to dispel a conflict without guns. The officers lack adequate training, know very little about non-violent policing, have poor gun management, go through an academy that punishes them rather than teaches them, and are unleashed on Nigerians with Ak-47s. This institution is not armed to protect; it is armed to kill without consequences. 

Oftentimes, instead of punishing an officer, they get suspended or dismissed until the buzz around the case dies down. The unit responsible for Kolade’s death is still in service, even though the officer that shot the gun, Ogunyemi Olalekan, has been dismissed. Despite several pictures and video evidence of these brutalities, many of these officers are not only allowed to return to work; they are also returned to tactical teams, given guns and returned to the streets. Knowing that they can do as they please, the officers go back more vicious and courageous than before. Several Nigerians who have had near-death experiences with the Police would have heard

“I will kill you, and nothing will happen,”

and its other variants used by the Police. 

As Nigerians continue to clamor that the deadly SARS unit should be eradicated in totality, it is also essential that the country undergoes structural reform of the Nigerian Police force. If this does not happen, the Nigerian Police will not stop shooting, and we have several Kolade Johnsons waiting to happen. 

*the name has been changed to protect the identity of the victim.

This story is the fourth instalment in a five-part series about the ongoing #endsars protest in Nigeria. You can read the first story here, the second story here and the third story here.

Muhammed Akinyemi is a Nigerian Journalist and writer, currently telling human rights, space and minority rights stories in Nigeria. You can reach him on or follow him on Twitter: @theprincelyx.

Related Article


Leave a Comment